Kings Win Cup, Yes I’m That Far Behind.Posted: 19/06/2012
Sorry for taking so long to write this, between being really busy 75% of the day and then incredibly lazy the other 25% I just haven’t had the time nor the ability to write a proper recap of recent events. As a result, I’m going to try to rapid fire some important events as best I can.
Congratulations to the LA Kings, Stanley Cup Champions for the 2011-12 NHL season. Special big ups to Rob “The Piece” Scuderi. Certainly it is easy to make fun of Scuds for not being that dynamic offensive machine, however, as he’s proven twice now and to quote the words of my father, “you win the Stanley Cup with guys like that.” Amen.
Although I gave them a hard time throughout the playoffs I am really pumped that Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, the two cornerstone pieces of the Flyers franchise until this past season, are Stanley Cup champions only months after they were dumped by Philly because neither the coach nor the GM felt that the team could win a Cup with those guys. A friend of mine who is a Philly fan tried to explain to me that the objective in Philadelphia wasn’t to win the Cup this year, but to build for the future. I believe him because I don’t want to delve into the rottenness that is Philadelphia sports, their fans, and their pundits, but that leaves me with a couple of questions. If you weren’t trying to win the Cup this year, why did you overpay by more than 60% for a 40-year-old winger who had been out of the league for three years? Further, if you aren’t trying to win the Cup really soon why did you spend a fortune on a goalie well over thirty when you already had an extremely promising one going into his second season in the league? If you were disappointed with your stars, why not wait til the trade deadline and trade them to contending teams who would be willing to totally overpay for their services rather than trade them to some meh teams for some meh third line players in the offseason? Lastly, but perhaps most importantly, if you aren’t trying to win the Cup, what the hell are you doing?
The best good news about the Kings winning the Cup is that now it is officially the offseason and that means that there are officially stories to report about the Penguins again. I’ll be writing about them momentarily.