Let’s Ring in the Lockout by Spending Silly Money (Or Exactly What the Owners are So Determined to Do Away With)Posted: 15/09/2012
Well the NHL will be locking out players at 11:59PM tonight. Before they do that though many Owners have made last ditch efforts to pay exorbitant contracts to their players to lock them up for a while.
- The Capitals decided to re-sign John Carlson for $23.8 million over 6-years. That seems like a lot of money for Carlson but then again, no contract should ever surprise anyone when it comes to these last second deals. Carlson has good upside and he’s only 22 years old. If he played for the Penguins he’d probably be our favorite defenseman.
- The biggest contract of the day so far has gone to Milan Lucic who signed a 3-year $18 million extension. He’s probably the most deserving of his new contract, but the Bruins cap situation is a huge disaster. Also, it was Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs who initiated the vote to give Bettman lockout authority in advance of tonight’s decision. You stay classy Boston.
- Alex Burroughs signed a $4.5 million per season extension over 4 years ($18 million total) coming off of a 52 point season. Burroughs is famously the usual winger to play with the Sedin’s in Vancouver, and he got paid $4.5 million to put up 52 points in that company.
- The Coyotes finally came to terms with Shane Doan. The deal is $21.2 million over 4 years. That’s over $5 million a season for a 36 year old who can’t skate and spends as much time whining as he does scoring. And it comes from the most financially troubled team in the NHL. When it comes to “saying one thing and doing another” in the NHL, this is it.
- I would call the Doan contract the worst of the deadline deals but that has to go to the Dallas Stars who decided to sign Kari Lehtonen for a mind-nuking $5.9 million a season. When that contract kicks in next year he’ll be the 8th highest paid goalie in the league, ahead of the likes of MAF, Brodeur, Kiprusoff, and Carey Price. Lehtonen isn’t anywhere near as good as any of those guys. Wow.
The lockout is upon us. My advice is to not get all worked up about it. Yes, it sucks, but if you stay cool throughout the situation, it won’t be as bad. With that said, a little media to help you pass the time…