World Baseball ClassicPosted: 10/03/2013
I was in Daytona Beach from 3/2 till 3/9 so I have missed quiet a lot so here is the rundown..
World Baseball Classic
If you have not seen the baseball fight between Mexico and Canada, please watch.
This game went back and forth will “dirty plays.” When it came to the 9th inning and Canada was up 9-3, they decided to bunt for a base hit. The third baseman Luis Cruz indicated to the pitcher to bean the next batter. In the WBC, runs scored is used for a tie breaker so no one knows if the move was an insult or if they were really trying to add on as many runs.
Pirates that are involved:
Jason Grilli, Italy, Pitcher
- Only appearance so far. Earned the save over Mexico. Walked one and gave up a hit. Got out of bases loaded with two outs by getting a ground ball from Jorge Cantu.
Chris Leroux, Canada, Pitcher
Selected off waivers from Marlins on 9/13/2013. Has been up for the Pirates to help bolster the bullpen and has a shot this year as well.
- Started against Mexico. Earned the win. He pitched 3 innings, gave up 2 hits and 1 earned run. One walk was issued and he struck out four. 64 pitches while recording 41 strikes (64%)
Wandy Rodriguez, Dominican Republic, Pitcher
- Pitched tonight, 3/10, against Puerto Rico. Lasted 3 1/3 innings while giving up a run with 3 hits. Had 2 strikeouts and walked one. 61 pitches with 37 strikes (61%). Not eligible for win
Jameson Taillon, Canada, Pitcher. Regarded Pirates number 2 prospect behind Gerrit Cole
- Taillon was born in Texas but both parents are Canadian.
- It was an elimination game. He got the start versus an All Star caliber lineup. I did not get to see the game but his fastball was hitting 95 in the first inning.
- He lasted 4 innings, while giving up 4 hits, 2 runs allowed with only one earned. One walk and 3 strikeouts(Rollins, Braun looking, Victorino). 52 pitches, 34 strikes (65%)
- He had guys on second and third in the second inning and ended up getting out of the inning without giving up a run.
Stefan Welch, Australia, Third Base
- First game. Went 1-3 and had a HR resulting in only run and rbi
- Second game. Went 1-3 (double) with a walk and strikeout
- Third game. 1-4 (double) and had lone run