World Baseball ClassicPosted: 10/03/2013
I was in Daytona Beach from 3/2 till 3/9 so I have missed quiet a lot so here is the rundown..
World Baseball Classic
ü If you have not seen the baseball fight between Mexico and Canada, please watch.
ü This game went back and forth will “dirty plays.” When it came to the 9th inning and Canada was up 9-3, they decided to bunt for a base hit. The third baseman Luis Cruz indicated to the pitcher to bean the next batter. In the WBC, runs scored is used for a tie breaker so no one knows if the move was an insult or if they were really trying to add on as many runs.
Pirates that are involved:
Jason Grilli, Italy, Pitcher
- Only appearance so far. Earned the save over Mexico. Walked one and gave up a hit. Got out of bases loaded with two outs by getting a ground ball from Jorge Cantu.
Chris Leroux, Canada, Pitcher
Selected off waivers from Marlins on 9/13/2013. Has been up for the Pirates to help bolster the bullpen and has a shot this year as well.
- Started against Mexico. Earned the win. He pitched 3 innings, gave up 2 hits and 1 earned run. One walk was issued and he struck out four. 64 pitches while recording 41 strikes (64%)
Wandy Rodriguez, Dominican Republic, Pitcher
- Pitched tonight, 3/10, against Puerto Rico. Lasted 3 1/3 innings while giving up a run with 3 hits. Had 2 strikeouts and walked one. 61 pitches with 37 strikes (61%). Not eligible for win
Jameson Taillon, Canada, Pitcher. Regarded Pirates number 2 prospect behind Gerrit Cole
- Taillon was born in Texas but both parents are Canadian.
- It was an elimination game. He got the start versus an All Star caliber lineup. I did not get to see the game but his fastball was hitting 95 in the first inning.
- He lasted 4 innings, while giving up 4 hits, 2 runs allowed with only one earned. One walk and 3 strikeouts(Rollins, Braun looking, Victorino). 52 pitches, 34 strikes (65%)
- He had guys on second and third in the second inning and ended up getting out of the inning without giving up a run.
Stefan Welch, Australia, Third Base
—First game. Went 1-3 and had a HR resulting in only run and rbi
—Second game. Went 1-3 (double) with a walk and strikeout
—Third game. 1-4 (double) and had lone run